Are You a Singer? Student? Voice Teacher?
In March and April of 2020 I'll be offering Free (online) German Diction Classes.
Read through this page and sign up for the email notifications at the bottom of the page.
German Diction for Singers and Voice Teachers
I help singers and voice teachers understand and sing with authentic German diction.
Do you have a hard time with German sounds?
Most singers have an Ich-Laut that's too much like "ish." The prepositions don't make any sense in the text, and those diphthongs can be confusing.
And what in the world is that Umlaut doing there?!
- Your Ich-Laut sounds kind of...ishy.
- You don't know what to do with that "äu" thing.
- You think German is "too harsh."
- You want to sing it more clearly, but don't know what to do.
- You need to teach German diction...but are unsure.
Understanding the Text = Understanding the Music
When you know what to do with your articulators, in combination with knowledge of text and Germanic culture, you will free up energy to channel into your performance.
Even if it feels really weird.
Even if you don't speak German.
Even if you've never been there.
"Working with Nicole is so pleasant! During lessons, she made me feel comfortable with making mistakes and was super supportive. She catches onto both big issues and the tiniest pronunciation problems immediately AND is amazing at getting you to pronounce things correctly! Also, during our lessons she sprinkles in extra knowledge like cultural context and direct translations which made for a fun and fulfilling lesson time. Nicole coached me for a regional competition where I sang a German song. All of the notes for that particular song said that the pronunciation was exceptional! I absolutely contribute that to Nicole’s amazing teaching! ~David T., St. Paul, MN"
St. Paul, MN
Give your customers a simple 3 step plan for doing business with you. It should be dead simple so customers can see how easy it is to improve their life with you.
Sign up for the list below.
We meet for a German Diction class.
You know much better how to sing in German. And you do it.
I'm a Professional Singer and Certified German Instructor
Hi, I'm Nicole Warner, mezzo-soprano. My professional singing career began about 20 years ago and I've performed everything from Bach's Weihnachts-Oratorium to Mahler's Symphony Nr. 2 (das Urlicht). I'm also a certified instructor for German as a Foreign Language and I taught voice for a long time. If that's not enough for you...
- I have over 20 years of experience in performing. (Seriously, I sing a lot of Bach.)
- I'm certified to teach not only German as a Foreign Language, but also English as a Foreign Language.
- I have taught thousands of hours of foreign language, both German and English.
- From 2003 to 2008 I lived in Germany, traveled widely, and sang with the Gächinger-Kantorei, in addition to solo engagements.
- I have an M.M. in Classical Voice from the Manhattan School of Music and a B.A. in Music Performance with a concentration in voice from Augsburg College (now University).
You can read more about my singing here.
Ja, ich kann das. Yep, I can do that.
Find out about
free German diction classes
in March and April 2020
I'm setting up free German diction classes during March and April 2020; if you'd like to find out about them, sign up here.